Digital Imaging for Condition Asset Management, DIFCAM, is a fast, efficient and automated approach to the basic visual inspection of structures. It reduces or removes the need for human visual inspections that can be costly and present safety risks. Although originally developed to for use in railway tunnels, it can also be used to carry out inspections on other types of networks and structures.
How it works
The system captures a complete visual record and 3D model of almost any structure. Using a high-grade inertial guidance platform, the datasets combine to produce a high quality 3D representation of the asset as well as indexing the raw data for analysis.
Over time, the data captured builds into a historic record than can be continually compared and analysed to identify changes. This allows maintenance engineers to quickly identify potential new defects e.g. cracks, spalling or bulging.
- Rail tunnels
- Road tunnels
- Rail bridges
- Road bridges
- Remote structures e.g. wind turbines
- Hazardous structures e.g. nuclear facilities
- Complete structures e.g. power station piping
• Fast data capture
• Direct inspection-to-inspection comparison
• Full record of the structure created
• Reduced survey time
• Richer, more detailed spatial data
• Removal of risks to workforce safety